Planning a trip is never a perfectly straightforward process, but in our case this year there was usually an extra unexpected turn. As many of you already know, our vehicle was totaled in an accident in late June, which put a kink in our plans as we had intended to drive it to Florida for our departure.
We did however rent an SUV and somehow managed to stuff nine pieces of luggage plus carry-ons into and on top of this thing.
We drove to St. Petersburg, Fl, to spend the final few weeks with Meredith’s family before arriving at Miami for our departure from the USA. But as if that was not quite enough adventure, the remnants of tropical storm Emily decided to shut down Miami airport for hours which caused us to miss our flight out of London. Not to worry of course, British Airways gave us a hotel room and three meals.
And the adventure continued with the airline misplacing 4 of our bags, but that’s actually par for the course. The real news though is that we are about to return to what we love, namely, our work at RVA.
- Praise God for His provision and protection in all of our convoluted travels.
- Praise God for His strength and provision. This home assignment has been difficult in many ways, not the least of which is having to look for additional funds, but God has been faithful and we feel His presence with us as we go out with the provision that He has provided.
- Pray for Elizabeth as she begins her senior year of college. She is already making decisions for what happens after grad, and we pray that God will lead her in every way.
- Pray for Abby as she must learn to adapt this year to life in America without us. We have seen her make strides, take responsibility, and generally make good decisions. Praise God for this and pray for her continued maturity.
- Pray for Karissa as she transitions back to life at RVA. Living on two continents is very challenging and perhaps the true nature of the struggles are easy to deny but have lasting effect, and we pray that God uses even this for her continued spiritual and social maturity.
- Pray for David and Meredith as we take up our duties again. It is our desire to make a difference in the lives of the kids that we are with, because we know that their emotional, spiritual, and academic health and growth contribute in countless ways to the spread of the gospel in the continent of Africa.
Living the adventure so that Christ centered churches can be planted among all African peoples,
David and Meredith Tilly
Elizabeth, Abby, and Karissa